In this course I examined the use of games for learning, surveying contemporary learning theory, media, trends, and challenges related to game design, and playing games in informal, community-based, online, and school settings. Not only have I explored the culture and communities that play games but I critiqued, identified, analyzed, and engaged in a variety of game-related topics as they related to learning theory.
My work completed demonstrates ILT Competencies 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6 by:
- Defining and distinguishing characteristics of game-based learning designs and experiences.
- Identifying connections among games and affinity spaces.
- Reading literature associated with various games and find learning themes and trends.
- Discussing challenges and opportunities of games in professional settings.
- Assessing implications of games and play for my personal and professional learning.